Monday, July 20, 2009

Yeah . . now it's mine!

The mascot at the high school I work at is the "Viking". Since I started working there 13 years ago, I have been collecting various Viking things to "spirit" up my work area. When I transferred into the Athletic Office about 8 years ago I really got into it. Our former Athletic Director had an impressive collection of various wooden carved Norwegian looking Vikings, and I sort of inherited those when he retired. Since then I have been adding to the collection. When I go to garage sales, antique shops or am just out browsing around in general I sort of always have my eye out for something unique or new that I don't already have. The high school kids get a kick out of looking at my work area with all my different Viking things, Viking hats, books about Vikings, a big Viking nutcracker, Viking face mask, Viking Barbie (now that was a find!), one of their favorites is my SpongeBob Viking. So you might imagine my complete glee when as I was shopping for a toy for my grandson's 2nd birthday I find the perfect gift from Grandma. A YoGabba Viking ship with little YoGabba Viking characters inside. I purchased it, wrap it up and have it ready to go to his party in the next couple of weeks . . . UNTIL I happened to stop by their house the other evening and as we are sitting in the backyard watching him play by his little pool . . I spot the YoGabba Viking ship with the little people floating in his wading pool. So I tell my son, "I just got that for him the other day . . thinking it would be a good gift from Grandma . . darn." . . oh well, back to the drawing board for a gift . . . but hey!! now I have a new item to display on my desk. . Oh . . yeah . . the kids are really going to like this!

No comments: