Friday, June 19, 2009

Time for the Class Reunion . . .

It happens every year I will get a call in the office. "This is so-and-so I am from the class of 19 -whatever, do you have any contact information on members of our class?, Do you know if our class is having a reunion this summer?" The answer to that is no. Unless you would like to enter our fireproof vault and go through each huge notebook to locate individual student transcripts from the 60's, 70's, 80's and part of the 90's (pre-computer age) to find their address at the time of graduation. Once you walk across the stage and receive that diploma in their hand, we don't keep a compiled list of addresses. Usually the high school office doesn't hear about upcoming reunions, we refer the call to the local newspaper. "Oh" they say. "We just figured the high school kept up on that stuff". It's normally 99% the responsibility of the senior class president to initiate any class reunions and to maintain an ongoing up-to-date contact list. Thanks in part to Classmates. com, Facebook and MySpace news of class reunions begin to spread like wildfire. I bring this up because Josh & Dani have their 10 year reunion this weekend, my how time flies.

Here were my observations at the reunions I attended -

10 year reunion - Everybody still primarily mingled with their high school friends/clicks (as we called them). Lots of bragging or posturing about careers and kids. Really good attendance at this reunion from the Friday night classmates only, the big dinner on Saturday and golf/picnic on Sunday. Some girls already had 4-5 kids (primarily the Mormon ones). Many guys were balding already and many wallflower types had become real beauties (according to my husband who I had to smack a couple times for staring).

20 year reunion - Not as many in attendance, but a few who came made it their summer vacation from out of state. Lots of high school sweethearts who had married were now divorced. Some were already grandparents. The guys that were balding before, were now working on potbellies. The gals (to me) seemed to look even better, but you could definately tell that hair coloring was happening to alot of us. My biggest disappointment was that alot of my close friends from high school didn't attend. Most all of them live locally, so that bummed me out. This reunion was really fun. I think people were much more comfortable in their skin and where they were in their lives, no need for one upmanship. My favorite story from this reunion was standing next to a former classmate (guy) who had been married and divorced from a gal in our class. She had since remarried some Attorney from Portland and brought her new husband to the reunion with her. She was all decked out in a beautiful dress, looking very shapely and "hot" as my husband said. As I spoke to the classmate he began telling me a bit about their divorce when suddenly he began staring at his EX . . I could tell he was looking at her chest. I just sort of smiled slightly as he proceeded to tell me "She didn't have those when I was married to her". . oh my gawd it was hilarious, apparently she had gotten a little plastic surgery since the divorce . . we laughed it was a good time.

30 year reunion - I didn't attend and I regret it. I heard from a number of people that it was the best one yet. It was local and there was really no excuse for not attending. I have compiled a list of the gals that I hung out with during those 4 years of high school and I am going to definately call them all to attend the 35th. I guess as we get older we have reunions closer together as people begin to kick the bucket sooner. OH MY GAWD!! our 35th will be next year . . . geezz I'm getting old. Be ready gals the call is coming!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monica, Since we have talked and kept in touch over all the years, I will give you a challenge. If you can get in touch with the 7 girls we hung out with and they will all show up."I will go to the 35th". Love you, Peg

Le' Monica said...

Hey you're on! I'll see if I can round up all the ole' gals!!