Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dirt, Hair, Cooties and the Devil . . .


I'm ashamed, I'm embarrassed, I have failed. For years I have gotten up every Saturday morning, put my hair into a ponytail, wearing my grubbies, grabbed my collection of cleaning supplies in it's handy dandy carrier grabbed my vacuum cleaner and performed the time honored tradition of "cleaning" house. Oops, I left out the part about cranking up the music in the house. I start at one end of the house and enter every room with my arsenal of cleaning products, dusters, sprayers, wipers and clean as no woman has cleaned before (or at least since the previous Saturday). As I finish cleaning I turn on the vacuum cleaner and move furniture, etc. to diligently suck up every morsel of dirt, grime, cooties, etc. that may exist on my floor or carpet. There is nothing that brings me more satifaction than hearing the little tinkle, tinkle noise of things going up and into my vacuum cleaner as well as admiring the "vacuum lines" in my carpet when I am complete. It validates that I have been here, I have done my job and NOW the room is clean. OR so I thought. I have noticed lately that my Super Powered Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner has been making alot of noise lately. I keep checking the bag and yes, it is still sucking up lots of junk, it's just that the motor has seen better days. So recently on a trip to Freddies I noticed that they had vacuum cleaners on sale, and although buying a vacuum was not on my list when I entered the store, I came home with one. It is the new "Turbo Powered" Bissell XP, sounds like a video game or something. I get it home and connect things together. It's one of those bagless models, which I though, "well, this is good, it will save money on buying new bags all the time". After I get everything all hooked up, I fire it up and decide to vacuum our little carpeted area in the family room. Seems to work fine, definately not as noisy as the old vacuum, very nice carpet lines, ok, so let's check out the container that collects the dirt. "OH MY GAWD!!!!" It's nearly full!!!!! What??? that can't be!!!?? This is unreal?? So now I am on a mission I completely vacuum the rest of the house. It's sooooo embarrassing, all these years with my bag vacuum cleaner (I guess out of sight out of mind). Now that I can see the dirt, I am obsessed with getting rid of it. Here I thought I was cleaning everything so spic and span but my Super Powered Dirt Devil failed me. So next time you try to call, if I don't answer the phone, I'm probably vacuuming so I can't hear you.

No comments: