Monday, February 23, 2009

Tired of the flu . . .


Entering week 2 of the flu. A week ago Sunday, in the evening the scratchy throat began. Not enough to keep me from my beach adventure on Monday, but by Tuesday it was the full blown flu. I shouldn't have but I did go to work on that day, which was my demise. "You don't sound good Mrs. C.", "What's wrong with your eyes?", "You sound funny" "Oh man, don't you hate that flu, I have had it too". So on Wednesday when I got up . . I said screw this I'm staying home. What has been even worse about this go around is hubby and I have both been sick at exactly the same time. Not good. We are both fighting for couch space, the Kleenex box, the oranges in the refrigerator and who can be more crabbier to the other because we both feel so rotten. We stayed home Weds, then again on Thursday. Doing the usual routine of Tylenol, sucking on the Halls lemon menthol drops, then NyQuil before bed. Sleeping horribly, coughing all night, just pathetic . . actually just like the commercials on TV. By Friday I couldn't take it any longer and went back to school, I thought I was feeling pretty good until all of the above comments were repeated to me again. Great. I arose on Saturday, still not feeling good and said to hubby, "I'm going to Urgent Care, this is ridiculous", "Fine" he says but doesn't volunteer to go along, he is not a fan of the doctors office. I enter the waiting room at 9:00am with expectations of being one of the first patients there . . . sadly mistaken . . the waiting room was full. I worked in health care for 19 years and I know better than to wait and go to an urgent care clinic on a weekend, but here I was and I felt a kinship with everyone there, they all looked and sounded just like me. Young people, old people, babies held by a sleep deprived parent, all of us wanting relief. When I finally returned to my car at 11:30am (yes, 1 1/2hrs later) I was holding prescriptions for antibiotics, some megapowered cough syrup and an inhaler. I had high hopes that after ingesting a few of these products I would feel better. That was Saturday, this is Monday night, I'm still feeling like &#@*. This would be the year that I skipped my flu shot . . arrghh . . cough . cough.

No comments: