Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Now you aren't making good choices . . .

Yesterday I began a little holiday shopping. I headed down I-5 south to the Woodburn Outlet Mall. It was not too busy, parked front and center, grabbed my umbrella, coffee and began my mission. I was mostly window shopping trying to get some ideas but as I walked by the GAP store I thought I would like a black sweater and I love the ribbed ones that GAP makes. As I entered I'm trying to locate them and this is what I hear from a mother with her 2nd grade son (approximately) with baby in a stroller. To the older child as he is being a brat in the store, she says I quote, "You are not behaving awesome at this moment, we discussed what our plan would be before we left home. There will be no special treat for you young man since this behavior is unacceptable, not awesome, and this is not how we act is it? No, you are choosing to make very bad choices today and there will be no toys, candy or anything else special given to you today. Do you understand my message here Logan (I could have guessed his name)? There is going to be a timeout waiting for you when we get home and I'm not fooling about this, now start making good choices." end of quote. All this was being said in a calm, almost creepy calm voice by Logan's mother. I had to listen because it was so absolutely unbelievable, the kid was acting like a total hellion in the store, running around not listening to her at all. I should have handed her my palm to borrow for swatting little Logan's bratty hiney or given her my hairbrush, right boys! I'm thinking I probably wouldn't have found that kind of mom in a Sears store.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Since they'd probably call child services on the mother if she had (rightfully) smacked her kid, this would be one of the many reasons I have chosen not to reproduce.

grace howson said...

Ha I remember a little girl(Amanda) who pushed me over the line and I had to leave a grocery cart full at the Fred Meyer, because some nosy woman was watching and I knew if I had smacked Amanda's bottom that meddling woman would have either turned me in for deservedly smacking a bottom or would have said something to me and I would have smacked the stupid nosy woman. I took Amanda home and punished her and then left her in her dad's care for a while. Had to go and re-do the grocery shopping too, but without the little stinker.

Le' Monica said...

Not Amanda??! she was (is) always sweet and innocent! ha!

grace howson said...

Ha! She just looks sweet and innocent...

Amanda said...

Again, the reason I don't want kids...they might turn out exactly like me.