Monday, January 26, 2009

Back to where I started . . .

I made a decision after the first of the year to do some kind of volunteer work. We use to help alot when our kids were younger for things mostly related to their school or sports. So I don't know . . . lately I've felt a bit like I haven't been doing my part by volunteering like I should, especially with no kids at home anymore. I considered a few organizations like: The Oregon Food Bank, Medical Teams International, Washington Co. Domestic Violence Resource Center and St. Vincent's Hospital in Portland. Since my volunteer time can only be on either Saturdays or Sundays that sort of narrowed down which organizations I could help. After contacting the first three, I've decided that St. V's would be the best fit. I really enjoyed the 18 years I spent working there and look forward to giving back. So on Wednesday there is an orientation so they can decide where to best utilize me, either in surgery scheduling, gift shop, information desk, working in the nursery or helping to wheel out discharged patients. I told them whereever they need help just let me know, this is going to be fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stick with your church...at least you know the money and time spent is going to something you can see and people genuinely appreciate.

Anonymous said...

Good for you - I admire that you are taking this one, along with being a grandma, supporter of FGHS and Beaver sports and of course "master tolepainter"

Doris