Monday, January 12, 2009

I hope this works . . .

Good thinking on my part to begin my serious dieting 2 weeks before we are going to Las Vegas, only the buffet capital of the world (next to Reno)!! But I am determined . . I was surfing the web and found tips on staying on your diet while approaching the buffet table . . some of these suggestions I will probably use.

  • Choose a small plate - seems obvious - but a large plate typically means lots of food and all hope of appropriate portion size is abandoned, research has proven this (I can validate personally based on the size of my holiday plates . uh large . . ha!).

  • Memorize what a "healthy plate" looks like - Try filling up your plate with salads and vegetables first - whatever is left can go to the other foods.

  • Check out the buffet before loading up the plate - Some people start at one end, and by the time they've finished loading the plate it looks like Mt Everest. Take a minute to walk around the foods before you grab your plate. Make a mental list of the best foods (lean proteins, salads, vegetables, etc). When it's time to grab your plate - you can bypass all the other foods.

  • Avoid crisp, crunchy, batter dipped foods, foods that have been deep fried. Creamy textures equal high calories: gravies, soups, sauces. Dessert counter should be considered very carefully when trying to avoid high sugar, high calorie foods. (Oh . . I hope I can do this).

  • Find the slowest eater - Know someone who eats really slow? Sit next to them. It'll help you pace yourself properly - and you'll soon know if you've been stuffing yourself.

  • Drink wisely - Alcoholic drinks are surprisingly high in calories. If you're after something a bit more exciting than plain water then go for a soda water (aka seltzer water or club soda). A dash of lime juice in it can make it a tasty drink. (this may well be where I fall off of my plan)

  • For many people, a buffet meal should be avoided completely - the temptation to get your money's worth is too strong. Research has demonstrated that the more variety on offer, the more we tend to eat.

With these tips I will be prepared to enter the buffet line . . I hope . . oh man . . this is going to be a challenge. Well, once this hurdle is complete, no worries, soon after I return home I will have 2 weeks to prepare for all the delicious foods facing me at the Super Bowl Party . . . AAAArrrgghhhh!

2 comments:

grace howson said...

Or order alacarte and think about the poor slobs eating the buffet that has been.... hocked on, sneezed on, coughed on, fingered through with unwashed hands.. instead of using the food utensils provided.
Need I say more, I am all for ordering off the menu and not the buffet. You eat only what you want and need and you stay healthy too! ;)

Anonymous said...

Here in Asia, the buffets are way more expensive than ala carte.

And, as the tai-tai says...the first time you see some guy finger around with the food, sneeze, pick his nose and then finger around in the food again is about the last time you want to venture to the buffet line.

And Flyrice recommends Anthony Boudain's 'Kitchen Confidential' on some insights into buffet food and service...