Tuesday, June 5, 2007

I hate hay fever . . .

So it begins.......since the summer of 1972 when I innocently walked through a field behind our house to see my friends horse, the sneezing started, the eyes started itching and watering, the nose started running. Little did I know then that it was going to continue to be an annual ritual for years to come. I don't know why they call it hay fever..it should be called grass fever. Of course I have tried every medication you can buy - Zyrtec (doesn't work) - Claritin (white tab, red tab whatever tab doesn't work) - any and all over the counter allergy medicine that they try to sell you, etc. ....doesn't work. I did the whole allergy shot routine in my 20's..with the understanding from my doctor that it would boost my immune system to the little pollen bast __ds...but no...all that did was make my kids now suffer bad hay fever too, because I had the shots when I was pregnant with them.. Sorry boys, the doctor said it wouldn't do that. I'm also just so happy that now since our strawberry industry is shrinking in Washington County, we have now decided that the next best thing to grow is grass...ie. to produce grass seed...ie. WHICH PRODUCES MORE STINKING POLLEN FOR ALLERGY SUFFERERS....sorry..but I get crabby when I can't see out of my left eye because it is so red and watery and itchy I can't stand it! The only thing that has ever worked for my hay fever was when I went to the doctor in a rather demanding manner and said, "I am not leaving until you can give me something so I can breathe....NOW!"..that the doctor gave me a shot of Kenalog..(ie. a form of steriod)..but apparently now they say that is not safe (after many studies...whatever) to give anymore....GREAT...just GREAT...something that worked...finally...and now they can't give it to me anymore............who cares what my testosterone levels were becoming...I COULD BREATHE......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you wonder why I love living in Se Asia and I don't visit during the summertime?!?!

Anonymous said...

Amen for Hawaii.