Monday, July 28, 2008

What's that noise? . . ,

I'm on vacation this week, so I slept in a bit this morning . . . oh .. til 8:00am or so which is late for me. I wandered into the kitchen made some coffee, grabbed the newspaper that hubby had so nicely laid on the counter for me and I plop down in the living room to see what's new in the world. That's when it happened . . .this noise from the other room . . .what is that? It's kind of loud, is somebody trying to get into the house from the garage?? what is going on?? So being brave (stupid) as I am I slowly sneak around the corner and into the opening to the kitchen. Huh . . . now I don't hear it? I just stand there and wait . . .oh geez . . . there it is again . . it sounds like it's coming from the vent over the stove . . .I walk up to it . . nothing . . Then suddenly . . BAM, BAM, BAM . .I hear a banging from the inside of our glass fireplace doors. OH GEEZZZ . . .what could that be?? Did a something go down into the chimney and get stuck in the fireplace?? What could it be?? Worse yet . . could it be a BAT?? OH MY GAWD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I tippeetoe over to the front of the fireplace glass to peer inside . . . I see nothing . . it's too dark in there. I am not opening the doors because whatever it is could jump/fly out. Now what to do?? I get a flashlight and through the glass start looking into the fireplace. Well whatever it is will be getting very ashy since we haven't cleaned the soot out recently and there is a pile in there. I navigate the flashlight to look at all the corners of the fireplace when I spot it!!!!!!!!!! a baby bird that looks scared to death hanging on for it's life onto the brick mortar inside the wall of the fireplace. Poor thing. It just looks at me with this "Oh shit" look in it's eyes. Well, I can't wait until Dale gets home it could be dead by then, so I will have to come to the rescue. I grab a kitchen towel, slowly open one side of the glass doors, keeping the flash light in it's eyes to sort of blind it from seeing that I am working my arm up behind him to SNATCH . . I have him!! Oh crap!! he's flailing . . .oh no!! I've lost him . . he's crashing around in the ashes . . oh no he's heading for the glass door my arm is through . . !!! yikes here he comes!! He's out...he's gotten out...he's flying around my family room!!! OH NO!!! He heads straight for the patio door, just like the commercial I guess, my windows are so clean haha!! So I take the towel and again coming up from behind him make a grab . . . . .this time I am successful!!! His little head and tiny eyes are looking out of the towel staring straight at me. Of course I have to talk to him, "What were you thinking?? flying down our chimney?? Where is your mother??" We take a little walk out to the backyard (making sure our cat is not around) and I slowly open the towel and he flies off into the trees. Hopefully he doesn't contract black lung disease or some other gawd awful thing from his little roll in the fireplace soot. I can say . . . I feel like a hero today.

No comments: