Monday, May 18, 2009

Excuse me? It's how much did you say . . . .

I am not a golfer. My involvement with golf consists of being the person who drives the cart and delivers refreshments (typically at our staff golf tournament). People that golf seem to be having fun, but it's not for me. I tried to swing a club a couple of times and it was not comfortable, easy or fun . . as I slammed the club (after much instruction) into the grass and nearly dislocated my shoulder.


As our school year whines down we (a couple of the secretaries) are responsible (other duties as assigned) to purchase (out of monies from our faculty fund) retiree gifts. We have eight staff members that are retiring after a gazillion years of service. I am shopping for gifts for two of them. One I am finish getting, he was easy, after recently purchasing a motor home we got him an Oregon State Parks gift certificate. It can be used for reservations in any of the state parks. A really comfy lawn chair, and a big bag of limes (with a note that states these can be used for some adult beverages being delivered to his homes front door, not on school property!!). The other gift I have to purchase is for a guy who really likes to golf. After talking with some people in his department, they suggested getting gift certificates to different courses. Great! that sounds easy enough. I head out today after school and purchase a gift certificate at Forest Hills Golf Course for 18 holes ($40.00), stop by Meriwether Golf Course 18 holes $36.00. As I head back home I decide to swing by Pumpkin Ridge Golf Course and use the rest of the monies for a gift certificate there. As I enter the Golf shop and head to the counter a cute little golfer looking gal asks if she can help me. "Well, I am interested in getting a gift certificate for a teacher who is retiring that really likes to golf, I'm thinking a gift card for 18 holes of golf, can you tell me how much that would be?" . . as I grab my Visa card out of my wallet to get ready to pay . . she says, "Sure, that's a great idea . . we sell alot of those . . that will be $150.00." . . "Uh . . how much did you say?" "$150.00 . . for 18 holes." . . . ."Of golf? . . your kidding right?" . . "No, that's how much it is." . . . "Umm . . ok . . does that mean it's $75 for 9 holes?" "No, sorry, you can't buy only 9 holes, it must be 18." . . . "Look . . .do you have any specials or anything right now?" . . "How much were you planning on spending . . maam?" . . Great there's that damn "maam" word again. "I was thinking around $50". . . "Well, I could make out a gift certificate for $50 and he could come shop in the Pro shop or use it towards 18 holes." "Thanks, but no thanks." I left and I'm headed someplace else, not sure which other course yet, but I'll find another . . tomorrow. $150.00 freaking dollars! for 18 holes of golf????!! I never would have guessed, I'm obviously not from the golfing world.

1 comment:

grace howson said...

http://www.oregongolf.com/area/

This website gives you an idea of how much it costs. The really spendy courses like pumpkin ridge don't even give you an idea. I guess if you have to ask you can't afford it.
They also have phone numbers you could call to save you the headache of dealing with people calling you ma'am, and saves on your gas too. ; )

Good luck!