Thursday, May 28, 2009

First you like them . . . then they screw up.

The NBA playoffs. Not sure why but lately I have been sucked into watching some of the recent playoff games (I suppose it's because I don't control the remote). I think it started with following the Blazers this past season and when they were eliminated we just sort of got caught up with who's still in it. It's weird how you can really like a player, whether it's his talent, charisma, or looks (oops, I didn't say that!), then they go and do something stupid, like cheat on their wife, beat up their girlfriend, have dog fights on their property, take steroids, or do something else illegal. Then you as a fan have to re-evaluate your loyalty to that player. Case in point - the Lakers. I have never really been a Laker fan, but when Kobe Bryant first came on the scene I admired his talent, charisma and thought he was a good looking kid. Then he was a stupid idiot and cheated on his wife, so now I have a different opinion of him. So makes it easier to root for the opposing team. Even though who knows, they probably have criminals on that team too. I will mention in a group setting that I might like a particular player whether its a football, baseball or whatever player. It usually won't be too long before I hear "He's a wife beater" "WHAT?","Yep, was arrested a couple years ago". . . crap . . now I can't like him anymore. Then again, who am I to judge, but really don't we all? That's why it's nice when there are the good guys . . like my all time fav basketball player Karl Malone, hmmm . . another name comes to mind . . Joe Montana!! I might have to go into therapy if I hear he did anything wrong. Oh . . and be quiet guys! I know he looks like Barry Manilow, but that's not a crime.

No comments: