Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mmmmm . . what's that smell? . . . .


Working in an Athletic Office, there are many different smells, most of them are unpleasant. It can smell like dirty socks, mildewed towels, muddy grass, dead mice (yes, we have mice occasionally), Icy Hot, new basketballs (bet you don't know what a room full of new basketballs smells like?), slight smell of something burning from the copy machine (when somebody copies way more than my little machine can handle), etc. etc. etc. In our office we also have a coffee pot. Each morning upon my arrival I make a pot of coffee, and let me make this clear . . I make it because I want to NOT because it is in my job description. Typically, the coaches who wander in during the day bring in a tub of coffee that they (I'm sure their wives) have picked up at the store. Don't fret taxpayers! we don't charge it to our department. We all pitch in and either buy coffee or they leave me money to pick up coffee. So my saving grace when our office smells bad is to make some coffee first thing, because the coffee smell usually covers whatever is not smelling good at the moment. Well, last week we ran out of your basic roast Folgers, Yuban or whatever brands we typically use. I didn't have time to go to the store this week and nobody brought any coffee in even with my big displayed sign, "WE NEED COFFEE", so I just ground up some of the Hazelnut Creme flavored beans I had at home, took them into school and brewed them up. Here's what I hear: "That smells like girlie coffee (from a coach)" . . . yes, well if you want any that's what you get since I'M making it and nobody brought coffee in . . ahhh including you . . hmmm I notice you are taking a cup . . is that desperation? "Man, Mrs. C. it smells really good in the office today. Can I have some of that coffee?" (from a student) NO! "Oh, are you trying to turn this into Starbucks?"(from a coach) . . HEY, very funny if you don't want any don't drink it. Oh, that's funny, there he goes taking a cup! "OH gross Mrs. C, what is that smell, it's making me gag" (from a baseball player) A bit dramatic I'd say. Then there is . . ."ssssshhhh, don't tell anybody I said this but it tastes really good." OH Brother, the male coaches think it will reduce their manhood to say "out loud" amongst the others that they actually like Hazelnut Creme coffee!! Some things in our department can be SO stereotypical!! Ha!

No comments: