Sunday, December 30, 2007

All about the music . . .

hotel california

I have been missing from my blog posting lately because I have been downloading music. Lots and lots of music. I received an MP3 player for Christmas and I am having a ball! I am old school...seriously...old school...I have not upgraded to an iPod or MP3, I just have my CD player, while I know that's the way of the world. Well, now I am with it. BUT with that comes all the downloading of music. Hello?.....learning curve here for the old girl! I call in my sons the "experts" in this area...well, they don't really want to show me where they get their "free" music...I guess they don't want Mom go to the stolen cyber music jail (wherever that may be). So I have done what I can figure out..which is copying music from my CD's to the MP3. Picture this...a stack of 300 plus CD's stacked high next to my harddrive as I meticulously review each CD for the songs I want to transfer to the player. YES! very time consuming, but I am having a blast with it. I am rediscovering that my range of musical preferences is QUITE diverse. I have gone through a number of music phases over the past 40 plus years, my R&B phase with CD's of The Supremes, Box Tops, Temptations, George Benson, Luther VanDross..my 80's bands phase with Bryan Adams, Loverboy, Tears for Fears, Duran Duran, Steve Miller Band, The Police, Bruce Springsteen. The Strong women singer phase with Sheryl Crow, Melissa Ethridge, Barbra Streisand, Anita Baker, Janet Jackson, Alicia Keys, Madonna, Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Tina Turner...Then there has been my country phase that all started with Garth Brooks..never liked country until him..so we now have Alan Jackson, John Michael Montgomery, Clint Black, Tim McGraw, Brooks and Dunn with of course my music standbys that are timeless - the Beatles, The Jackson Five, The Eagles, Bread, Billy Joel, Lionel Richie...And lately I have been enjoying some of the newer music by Nickelback, 3 Doors Down, Maroon 5, Linkin Park and the list goes on, like I said 300+ CD's. So as I review each CD carefully to pick what songs get to be transferred to my MP3, it brings back lots memories of when I first heard the song, or bought the CD. Now my husband says..."So are you going to get rid of all these CD's now?".......Well, HECK NO!! They can go in the closet right next to my 200+ vinyl albums and 45's that I don't have the heart to get rid of yet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the next thing you need is an LP ripper...yes, they have turntables that will help rip your LP's to your hard drive.

If you want to upgrade that music library (and, oh boy, do you ever need to), head over to CD Baby (www.cdbaby.com) and browse away at all the new stuff. Music is cheap...and you can buy in either CD or MP3 form, depending upon the band. You would be supporting up and coming Indie bands that can really use the money...and the MP3's on CD Baby are not DRM laced.

Just stay away from iTunes, which has one of the worst DRM policies of them all...and their music is very much not capatible with standard MP3 players.

Le' Monica said...

Yeah..I have learned the hard way about iTunes. I purchased music awhile back and burned some CD's, but none of that music can be downloaded to the MP3..sucks! Thanks for the site info, I'll check it out. PS. I LOVE my music library..haha!