Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Their baaaaaaccckkkk . . . .

It's winter break and in come some of our former graduates that are now college freshman home for winter break.
"Mrs. C., college is GREAT! but I sure miss this office", "This high school was lame...college is soo much more fun, but it's good to be back and see everybody..hey can we use the weight room?" (hmmm..now you want something?), "Guess what, Ms. C. . . . I have a new girlfriend, she's from Montana, here's her picture..yeah, I've been calling her since she's back there now, she's pretty cool", "You should see the Athletic Office at Pepperdine it's sooo big Ms. C..you wouldn't believe it" (oh, I bet I would), "So are you going to be here all winter break too?...you are always here Ms. C". "Wrestling at Stanford has been awesome, only problem is I'm out with an injury now and it sucks." "I really am enjoying Crew at Oregon State, who would have thought I'd be rowing on a crew team! My coach says' he can get me on a partial scholarship next year, isn't that cool!" "Hey Mrs. C...thanks for the Christmas candy!!"

Working in a high school you have to put things into perspective. Some days the kids can act mature beyond their years, some days they act like complete knotheads, they are easily bored, tired, any given day hate high school, love high school or think it's "lame"as mentioned above. These dropin visits are a reminder to me. When kids leave and come back to say hi it means alot. It's all about forming relationships with kids while they are here in high school, hoping to make it a positive experience for them. That's why I love what I do . . . for these post high school visits.

No comments: