Sunday, December 9, 2007

The happy tradition of tree cutting . . .


Each year we load up in the pickup and head up to Davids Hill to cut our Christmas tree. There are a number of tree farms in the area..this is "Forest" Grove you know. We get ours at Christmas Trees West and have since the boys were little. There has been all kinds of weather on the top of that hill over the years but this year the view was absolutely beautiful. Yesterday we could see Mt. St. Helens, Rainer, Hood, Adams and the tip of Jefferson while we were cutting away. I have gotten less fussy about picking the absolute perfect tree. Usually we are walking around for quite awhile (the boys can attest to that) before I find one that is exactly right. Well, this year we found a beauty within about the first 5-10 minutes. Dale and Andy couldn't believe it, so we load it up, get it home. Then it starts..."Mom, this tree is ugly."..."WHAT?"..."It's got big gaps in it...it looks ugly"..."Then why didn't you tell me that when we were getting ready to cut it down?"...."I think Dad and I were just glad you picked one so fast...we didn't really look at it that good"..."It doesn't look ugly! it will look just fine with all the lights and decorations on it, they will hide any gaps"...."I don't think so, I still think its ugly"....Suddenly, I feel a definate connection to Charlie Brown.

No comments: