Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Because we are Oregonians . . .



We build fires. That's what we do in the Northwest. When it gets cloudy, we build a fire, when it's rainy, we build a fire, when it's icy, snowy, cold, we build a fire. Having said that, it was time for us to buy another cord of firewood as our pile was down to just a few pieces. So I made a phone call to this sweet little old lady that lives on a hill out of town, we have purchased from her and her husband for the last few years. It supplements there retirement income. She's quite a character to visit with, she says, "Oh sure honey, Ray will be in town today he can drop 1/2 cord off today and the other 1/2 on Thursday if that's ok? it's been buried under the snow the last few weeks and he's just uncovered it".."Sure, that works", I say. So today when I get home from work there is a big old pile of wood in the driveway. Hubby is working late tonight at the Sportsmans Show in Portland, so I get my grubbies on and start stacking wood. Hey, us Oregon girls do that . . . we don't mind getting a little wet and dirty sometimes or need to wait around for a man to do it...no..I can do it. So I made good progress until about the last 10 or so big logs, I just couldn't lift another piece. As I sit here now, I can feel my shoulders beginning to tighten, my back is beginning to ache and my arm at the bend is getting sore . . . this is not looking good. Wishing now maybe I wasn't so bullheaded and waited for "my man" to do it. I didn't know there were suppose to be warm up exercises that needed to take place before hauling and stacking wood. Hope I can get out of bed tomorrow. If I can't at least I know I can make a big fire!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you only had a loving son living around there to help you. Oh wait chad does. I guess if you only had me around to help you... hahaha

Le' Monica said...

Got that right! but now I've got big guns!