Thursday, February 21, 2008

It's not always Chicken Soup . .

So after being home with the flu on day 4 from work, I am grateful to say that tomorrow I will re-enter the working world again. I have begun to feel slightly more human and today I ventured out to the store to pick up a few groceries, as now hubby is home sick (so sad) and I have had to restock the medicine supply plus some things like fresh oranges, Kleenex, and juice, as he now begins his journey into "Flu-ville". It was so nice to smell fresh air today, be in my car again, oh, the small things that I take for granted! I have decided to make soup for dinner, this is a good one. Though chicken soup is the traditional when you are sick soup, I love this recipe for Tortilla Soup. It opens up the sinuses and well... it's just yummy. I'm happy to share it with you.

Tortilla Soup
(serves 6-8)
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
3T taco seasoning
3/4 c. water
1 can kidney beans (drained)
1 can corn (undrained)
1 can diced/chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
3 c. water
tortilla chips
sour cream
cheddar cheese (shredded)

Brown hamburger and onion (drain off any fat). Add taco seasoning and 3/4c water. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add kidney beans, corn, diced/chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, 3 c. water. (You can add more taco seasoning at this point if you want a bit more spicy). Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes.

Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's Dani! just wanted to let you know that Josh and I are trying your delicious soup tonight :) thanks for the great recipe!

Le' Monica said...

Hope you like it!