Saturday, May 3, 2008

Much bigger than the game. . .

Last night an umpire died at home plate. Yes, unbelievably sad. Our JV baseball team was underway in a game vs. Newberg when sometime during the 2nd inning the homeplate umpire dropped to the ground. Immediately, the catcher and base coach were over him to see what was wrong. They noticed right away that he wasn't breathing. The coach started CPR as a parent ran to the Varsity game that was also going on to get our athletic trainer. At the same time our Athletic Director was calling 911. The baseball boys were in shock, many becoming very emotional as the guy was turning blue, literally. When the ambulance arrived they attempted to start his heart 4 times with the paddles. Nothing. They loaded him onto the stretcher and with the lights and sirens blaring they drove him off. Our AD called me this morning to let me know he didn't make it, he had a heart attack. An umpire from our town supporting kids, who just recently purchased a business in town and was only 43 years old. . . Game over. I'm really glad that about a month ago I signed up to renew my First Aid/CPR certification. It would not have saved this poor man's life, but I'd like to think that I could step in if an emergency happened. This guy just didn't have a chance.

No comments: