Sunday, May 25, 2008

Remembering on Memorial Day . . .

A number of years ago I was able to travel to Washington D.C on business. It was for a healthcare conference but during the middle of the week I was able to break away for some sight seeing. Since this was my first trip to DC, some specific places came to mind that I really wanted to visit. The White House, Lincoln Memorial, Arlington National Cemetary, Smithsonian Institute, Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall and the Washington Monument. Alot of places to see in one day, my goals were big. First place I dashed to was the Smithsonian, took the elevator to the 5th floor, went directly to the room displaying the Hope diamond, stared at it (amazing), then took the elevator back down. Finished at the Smithsonian! Onto the National Archives building which houses the Declaration of Independance (this was before Nicholas Cage stole it in National Treasure!) and the Constitution. Waited in long lines, unbelievable to actually look at the original documents, goosebumps actually. Couldn't get into the White House had to have a prescheduled tour, grounds were beautiful though. Lincoln Memorial was OK...I guess it's more impresssive on TV, it's not as big as I expected, but I did touch President Lincoln's pant leg so that was cool. Walking from the White House to the Lincoln Memorial you pass by the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Wall. I strolled by in the flow with many others when it hit me. Oh my gosh, there are so many names. The further I walked the more names, and more names, it was overwhelming. I had a huge lump in my throat and I didn't expect that. I didn't really know any people who died in Vietnam (Dale's brother served there but never talks about it) but to see all of those names it absolutely caught me off guard with emotions I didn't really expect to feel. The last place I had time to visit that day was Arlington National Cemetary. The bus dropped us off just in time to witness the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, very moving ceremony, so quiet even with hundreds of people watching. Following the guards ceremony I walked over to the Kennedy gravesites where the eternal flame burns, again . . not sure what happened to me but was completely taken over by huge lump in my throat, tears in my eyes and flashbacks to my 1st grade teacher crying when President Kennedy's assasination occurred. I came back from that trip with a strong belief that every American should travel to Washington D.C. at some time in their life to see these places in our history. I didn't really think I was much of a history buff, but there is just so much to see and I just couldn't fit it all in my 9 hour visit. It will definately be a future destination for hubby (who loves history) and myself again. Lot's of people have sacrificed for us, and done so proudly, let's not ever forget them.

No comments: