Friday, October 17, 2008

That's soo not cool anymore! . . .

So some kids were talking the other day. Actually, they like to talk everyday in the office about . . well . . teenage stuff. You know guys, girls, clothes, cell phone features, what they are doing this weekend, "Are you going to the game?, well are you going to the game" blah, blah, blah. I usually just casually listen while working on the computer or doing paperwork at my desk. I am learning things, oh yes everyday, I am learning things, the lastest thing is that. . . MySpace is not cool anymore, it's become "lame", "it's soo stupid" and "people are SOO dumb on it" (exact quotes). Now the place to make "new friends" is on Facebook. "You know Mrs. C, that Facebook is mostly for kids in college and older, but it's way better than MySpace, everybody is so stupid on MySpace it's ridiculous, they tell lies about you and make up stuff, we don't even use it anymore, well . . . hardly anymore". Ha. It's weird to me how kids seem to equate their self worth by the number of MySpace friends they have, or the number of text messages they receive in a given day. There are some real record breakers at school in that category, unbelievable. What a strange world when you can be talking face to face with somebody and you are constantly interrupted by their annoying music that announces that they have just received a text message. They pickup and respond to the messages from those people faster than when you are standing RIGHT THERE talking to them in person? What's that all about?? Helloooo?? whatever happened to not being rude to somebody that is in a conversation with you right here, right now...arrghhh. So anyway, back to Facebook, I had to brag to one of the kids the other day, well, I do have an account on Classmates. com, "OH, Mrs. C, that is really dorky, nobody signs up for that!", "oh really?. . well maybe it's just for old people then." "No, you should just get a Facebook account, they do reunions and stuff on there too, and you could be my friend". "Aahhhh, thanks but no thanks". I'll just continue to be dorky and keep my Classmates account, and have a blog page that I blab on, and personally call or email people that I consider to be my "friends". I won't be able to post that I have 275 friends (or however many) like you do but I'll be OK with that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a hard time to. I guess you have to be invited to get in to the mypace thing. I actually like what you have going and many of my friends and extended family. It takes a lot of time to do what you do and I appreciate it. L.Peg

Anonymous said...

MySpace = Spam
Facebook = Cult (along the lines of the iCult)

Stick with what you are doing. But, at the very least, you should get a Twitter account