Tuesday, December 16, 2008

That's a great idea . . .

I'm up with the paper this morning and head to the recliner, along with my cup of Irish Cream flavored coffee. We are entering Day 2 of "Snow Day" and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The paper has it's usual depressing front page news for the day, "Oregon's state jobless rate hits 8.1%, experts predict more layoffs in the new year", "Shoe video of Bush in Iraq becomes symbol of Iraqi's rage", "Suspect arrested in fatal bombings of 2 Woodburn police officers". And of course, the weather, lot's about the weather . . . rumor has it we may be out of school for the entire week. That would be something that hasn't happened in the 13 years I have been with the district.

Anyway, I noticed an article about suggestions for making donations that I thought was interesting.

Do-It-Yourself Donation Party: Along the lines of the Tupperware or Home Interior Party, you host a party and ask guests to bring items or checks for your chosen charity. Just like home parties you can extend the invitation to people who cannot attend but would like to donate, from your work or school. So let's say your theme is Linens, guests would bring unwrapped blankets, pillows, sheets, bath towels, washcloths, etc. You could have any number of themes: canned food, sleeping bags, coats, children's clothing, etc. depending on the needs of the organization you have selected. You could drink wine, visit with girlfriends, have snacks and know that the get together is for something good, and not more candles or home decor. Perhaps at the party you could even show a short video about the organization that you will be donating their items to.

Maybe when you get to be my age you have plenty of Tupperware and your house is already as decorated as you want it to be, why not still have the fun of the get together and have the contributions go to a worthwhile organization? I'm gonna have to followup on this . . .definitely.

Here are just a few organizations that could benefit from something like this:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I plan on doing something that benefited my family last year. It was a pay it forward thing I think. My mother and father in-law had somesone come up to them in the supermarket line and ask to pay for their groceries. They told her that they were on a limited income and that would be very nice. The young lady ended up paying for their bill and the peoples behind them. What a nice jesture. So Jack and I are going to stock out Fred Meyers and see who we are going to do the same thing to. Happy Holidays to your family and I love you both. L, Peg