Monday, August 25, 2008

Bring on the produce! . . .


Now I'm not a farmer's daughter but I do know that right now is the BEST time for fresh produce around here. It's my favorite time of year for stopping by the local farmstands to pick up fresh peaches, sweet corn, tomatoes and peppers. The corn stand along TV hiway has caused daily near miss accidents as customers suddenly slam on their brakes to whip into the parking lot to check out the flatbed heaped with the beautiful sweet stuff. It's funny to watch how people pick out their corn, some smell it, some squeeze it, some pull down the husk and just take a peek at the kernels. I just buy the ones that look fat, seems to work for me ;0), I absolutely love fresh peaches. You can never get tree ripe fresh ones at the store, they are always hard as a rock and they just don't have the same flavor even after you let them sit out and get soft. My mother-in-law makes the best canned peaches (I'm not a canner), so I'm gonna have to make a deal with her, I buy and you can . . pretty pleeeezzz, sounds fair to me! This year in our backyard vegetable garden we planted yellow plum tomatoes and some romas. They got a late start but are loaded now, we pick a few ripe ones every night. Can't seem to ever save enough to make anything, we keep munching on them just like on the farm.

No comments: