Monday, March 3, 2008

Bad accident...bad memories . . .

Driving home from the coast on Sunday afternoon we had to make a detour because of a really bad car accident. Multiple cars were involved at an intersection, there were lots of ambulances, fire department rescue vehicles and police. The Sheriff diverted us around the area but you could still see that it was an awful accident. I told my girlfriends that when I see an accident like that it reminds me of being in grade school and witnessing a couple of bad ones. One time there was a motorcycle accident that happened right in front of our house in Auburn, Washington. It was early evening and a motorcyclist blinded by the sun skid into the path of a car, he was killed instantly. I remember looking out our living room window (I must have been in about 4th grade) and seeing the dead man laying in our front yard on the grass. I kept thinking..cover him up..somebody needs to cover him up. He laid there for quite awhile before somebody took care of getting him out of there, they had to do measurements and re-create what happened. Guess that's why to this day I'm not a big fan of motorcycles. Another horrible accident was when I was in 5th grade. I was on the school bus heading home and we were following another school bus when it hit a girl. We sat on our bus for a long time waiting for the bus that was in the accident to move or for us to be able to drive around it. Finally our bus driver told us that since we were within 2 blocks of our stop she would let us out to walk to the stop. The problem was that every kid on our bus had to walk past the bus ahead of us that had hit the girl. She was still under the bus, I can still see her in her Brownie uniform laying like a limp ragdoll under that bus. Why our bus driver ever let us out so we had to walk by and witness that I will never know, she probably didn't realize that the girl was still there. It was the most horrible thing for a bunch of elementary school kids to see as they are walking home. I can remember that day like it just happened. I'm not a fan of the gawking so many people tend to do when they drive by accident scenes. I want to tell people, "Don't look because you won't forget what you see".

No comments: