Sunday, March 29, 2009

That's not what I'm looking for . . .


Something I love to do when I'm walking on the beach is to follow the tide line. You know . . . the edge of the waterline where you find all of the treasures that the ocean brings ashore. Someday I know I will be washed out to sea as my head is always down, not paying attention to the incoming waves but just in deep concentration looking at what is mixed in the kelp, seaweed or shells that have been carried in. When I did this on our trip to Mazatlan last summer, there were all kinds of really cool shells I'd find and pick up. I brought a whole bag of them home with me carefully wrapping them so they would not get broken in the luggage. They are displayed proudly in our bathroom (I know weird place) and they bring a smile to my face when I remember the walks along the beach to get them. This week my walks made me mad more than anything. All of the "crap" that gets washed ashore. Thank God! Oregon has a very effective beach cleanup program through the SOLV organization. Which we have gladly taken part in over the years, but it's just truly disgusting some of the things you see. Of course the major culprit is plastic, whether it's bottles, caps, lids you name it, then cigarette butts and Styrofoam. I'm not sure where all of this stuff comes from but geezzz people, it's gross and needs to stop.

No comments: